Pages

Friday, January 02, 2015

Best of 2014

Sorry if this is the millionth end-of-year list post you have read - I just really like doing them. Plus, it's not even 2014 any more. But dammit, I'm writing one anyway.

ART
2014 was a big year for me on the art front. I started with a two person show with Nicole Gustafsson at Hero Complex Gallery in L.A. and continued to show in great galleries throughout the year. Apparently 2014 was my circle phase....






Not sure what shape 2015 will be built around (circles may not be out of my system yet) - guess we will have to wait and see. First I need to unpack, clean, and get my studio in some sort of working order. Hopefully this weekend If I can resist the siren's call of Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll post some photos if I get things remotely tidy.

MOVIES
Considering that I work full time at a movie theatre, you would think I would see more movies throughout the year. Alas, most of my non-work time is spent making art and I find that I can't watch new things while I am working or I will do more watching and less working. So, my list of favorite 2014 movies is rather slim, but here goes (in no particular order): Interstellar, Birdman, Only Lovers Left Alive, Grand Budapest Hotel, Edge of Tomorrow, Captain America: Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy. 

GAMES
Just as I lack movie-watchin' time, I also lack gaming time, so I'm always very happy when I get a chance to sit down and play something. Favorite games of 2014: DMC, Far Cry Blood Dragon (best final level ever?), Dragon Age: Inquisition (not done yet, but I've enjoyed the 85 hours I've put in so far), Assassins Creed: Black Flag (the PS3 crashed and lost all my saves, mere hours from the end, but I loved what I did get to play), Infamous: Second Son, and Tearaway. I still have more to do in DA:I (I am a compulsive quest-finisher in games like this and DA has SO MANY QUESTS) and then I have two more large sandboxy games sitting on my shelf (Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and Far Cry 4) so I'm going to have to find more gaming time in 2015. Plus, I will undoubtedly have to save up and get a PS4 so I can play Uncharted 4, if it does indeed come out this year. 

BOOKS
Thanks to getting a Kindle, I read more books in 2014 than I have in a long time. 34 to be exact. My favorite book overall was probably Outlander, which also wins the award for longest book read in 2014 (sheesh). Other favorites include Ms. Marvel (Vol 1), Hawkeye (Vol 3), Neil Gaiman's "Ocean at the End of the Lane",  Cherie Priest's "Boneshaker",  and Sex Criminals (Vol 1)

I also really go into Romance novels in 2014, probably because the Kindle lets me read them secretly without other people seeing the very ridiculous cover art that accompanies them. I think I can also blame this on the Vaginal Fantasy book club which I started following, which has hosts Felicia Day, Bonnie Burton, Kaila Kazebee, and Veronica Belmont drinking wine and discussing different fantasy/sci-fi romance novels each month. Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series ("Riveted", "The Kraken King", and "Here There be Monsters" in particular), Merideth Duran's "Duke of Shadows", and Kristen Callihan's "Firelight" were standout favorites. Friend me on Goodreads if you want to see what I'm reading in 2015. I'm aiming for 40 and there are sure to be plenty of titles involving dukes, earls, and dashing highland rogues (I'm a sucker for highland rogues).

MUSIC
I assumed my most listened to track of 2014 was going to be Pulp's "Like a Friend" (which I listened to constantly) but apparently it was Snow Patrol's "Set Fire to the Third Bar". I assume this is because my top 5 tracks were on a playlist I would always put on when I went to bed. I also purchased a Taylor Swift album - sorry High School Meghan. I had to limit my concert/show attendance in 2014 in order to keep from spending ALL of my monies (which meant that I missed Bastille when they came to Omaha, which I still regret) but I did get to see Cher, Neutral Milk Hotel, OK Go, and Eddie Izzard in 2014.



OTHER STUFF
2014 was a really good year for me. I moved into my own place and love it, I got to attend my 8th PAX, I went to Canada with my family which I always look forward to, I got a newish car (and a car loan which is somewhat less exciting), and went to LA for my show opening and got to spend time with good friends. Also, my weekly Strong Lady D&D game continued all year (we've been playing since May 2013) and is something I greatly look forward to every week. It's easily the longest running game I have ever played in. Plus, our DM is doing lots of cool things with it, including building a website which chronicles our campaign and recording our sessions to make them into podcasts. 

So there's my 2014 roundup. Here's hoping for good things to come in 2015. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

M, thanks for the coolness! I liked your 2014. It seemed righteous.

I read lots in 2014 due to a good commute. But it was an intense list. I like your list better.

Here's some music to offer in return. I like how HypeM exposes how many times I listen to songs under "Obsessions." HAHAHA! (igetobsessed)

http://hypem.com/andreadavis45

Happy New Year!

DMWieg said...

High School Ryan is equally horrified by your T-Swift purchase.
:P